Saturday, August 21, 2010

Despicable Me!!


This was one of hundreds of cases I handled this week. Nothing funny about the facts, nothing funny about domestic violence, but my inner-McLuhan requires comment on this bit of theater, above.

Deep in my childhood, I saw an episode of Night Gallery entitled, "The Sins of the Fathers." The premise of the episode involved an actual ritual practiced by religious sects to this day: every town had a "sin eater" who, upon the death of a citizen, would arrive to feast on food left by loved ones and "consume" the sins of the departed. The sin eater assured safe passage into heaven for others while condemning himself to everlasting hell.

As I watch myself made pariah by the media's pathetic torch and pitchfork crowd, I though about that episode of Night Gallery, and how, some day those who practice the dark art of fingerpointing will need me to consume their sins, as well. "WHITE CHEEZE!! ROAST BEEF!! PIE!!" beckons Geraldine Page to Richard Thomas...

P.S.: "Half-off facials? Say, 'Wha...?!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment